Thursday, March 19, 2009

What’s wrong with the media?

I was working out at the gym when I took a magazine, started reading the section called “The Rader Program” it was about helping people with eating disorders. They received a poem by a 21 year old client saying: “help me I always wanted to be Beautiful (thin), Tall, Rich, Successful, perfect... Perfect like those girls showed in your magazines.

This is the kind of perception that Magazines puts into people's mind, that everyone that is thin is perfectly beautiful. Media most of the time makes woman realize that they are not skinny and that their lives are terrible compared to those women just because they do not look like them. They stop appreciating what they have and start wanting more.
Media and commercials almost always show women who are skinny and beautiful, also show products to make consumers pretty with skinny models that would look good with anything. You almost never see a unattractive, size 10 woman as a protagonist in a popular TV show or commercial, models/actresses are pretty, skinny and have the perfect job, perfect friends and the prefect boyfriend. I was wondering where all those people want to get putting these ideas in our minds.

2 comments:

  1. It does seem that society in general says that to be pretty is to be skinny. I disagree. At my house, we watch Dancing With the Stars. My boyfriend has a thing for Julianne Hough (the skinny little blonde). To me the prettiest dancer is Lacy. She is thicker than the others, but she is not fat by any stretch of the imagination. I think healthy is pretty. It is weird that I say this and am worried about my weight and losing it after my baby is born. I guess I am as bad as everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for healthy. That's all that counts.

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete